Wednesday, August 6, 2008

On the Road to Washington State-Not Sailing

Barb and I hopped a bus in Rio Dulce and arrived in Guatemala City with some time to see some sights.






















Clicking on this photo will enlarge it and you may see the armed guard at the doorway of our hotel. I have decided that this boy with the rifle makes me feel safer.










Barb and I lost two weeks after arriving in Colorado Springs as I battled with an amoeba that I picked up in Guatemala. I lost ten pounds in two weeks and several dollars in medical bills, but after a round of medication I suddenly felt well enough to pack up and get on the road to visit Glory Berglund, Barb's "new, big" sister in Port Orchard, WA.



As we approached the Portland area we called our niece, Emily. She was available to have dinner that night and we were able to celebrate her 24th birthday + 1 day, together. I am pleased to report to her father that we find her to be a delightful, attractive and charming young woman who has direction in her life, good friends and a gainfully employed boyfriend. Sorry, Tom and Vickie, no photos.


The next morning, we remembered that our friend, Jon Ulsh was living in Portland and we found his phone listing in the white pages. A call yielded a reunion at his home and we seemed to be able to renew our friendship right were we left off decades ago. It makes me think that people don't change and the reasons why we liked Jon then are the same as why we still like him.





We drove on to the Tacoma area and crossed the bridge, bound for Glory (I couldn't resist.) We spent the next two weeks getting to know each other, getting to meet other family members and seeing sights. Glory has a wonderful family (and we do too, but now we have even more!)




Barb's Nephew: Terry Berglund. We surprised Terry at the airport. "Are you Terry Berglund?" "Yes." He said. I said,"I'm your Uncle Jay!"









Sue Berglund: Terry's wife-a wonderful hostess! She shared her home with us for three days, fed us like we might not ever eat again and carted us all over the most beautiful parts of North Western Washington, almost into Canada!















Rhianna Berglund: Terry and Sue's youngest.














Left to Right: Terry, Barb, Sue, Glory, Aaron (Rhianna's boyfriend), Ty (sp?) (the wunderdog), Rhianna.















Barb and Glory.














Looking at Barb's photo album.





Barb and Glory (in front of the red tent) at the dog show in Sequim. This Borzoi won best of breed.











This is the view across Puget Sound from Glory's house. The Space Needle is to the left.

















While we visited Emily did I use my camera? No!


While we toured Seattle did I? No!



How about Sue's tour of Northern Washington? No!



Maybe someday I'll learn.

No comments: